Match Reports Round 13 vs Ivanhoe
Date of Event : Wed Mar 8, 2017 8:05PM

 1st XI at Gillon

IVANHOE batted out its overs on Saturday but fell 42 runs short of closing its season with a win.

Saints skipper Cameron Stewart sent Brunswick in at A.G. Gillon Oval, with the Wicks compiling 8-205 from its 45 overs.

No. 3 Scott ‘Who’ Sanders starred at the top of the order with 66, sharing a 50-run stand with Karl Mayne (26) for the third wicket to lift the score to 3-118.

David ‘bread box’ Bonavia (45*) and Ryan Fort (20*), coming up against his former side for the first time, then cashed in on some lapse moments in the field from Ivanhoe to take the score past 200.

The pair grabbed the ascendancy in the contest with an unbroken stand of 68 for the seventh wicket.

“Instead of chasing something that could have been 150 or 160 quite easily ended up being 200,” Stewart said.

“We dropped the better looking Bonavia on seven and those are the lapses that can hurt – like that cheap wine at the Calabria club.”

In reply, Amit Sharma got Ivanhoe off to a flying start with his third half-century of the summer.

The Donnybrook recruit shared a 46-run stand with Jayden Clay (6) for the first wicket, but the Saints failed to capitalise on its positive start.

A lot of other wickets fell pretty quickly for not many runs as Ivanhoe slumped to 5-90.

Sharma finished as Ivanhoe’s leading run scorer for the summer with 386 runs, and remains hopeful of joining Brunswick next year.

“Let’s face it, it’s a well-worn path to bigger and better things.”

The wickets were shared among the Brunswick attack, with skipper David McKay (2-35 off nine overs), Tim Daykin (2-28 off six) and Bonavia (2-15 off six) each picking up a couple.


2nd XI at Ivanhoe Park

The seconds travelled to Ivanhoe to play essentially a dead rubber for the final game of the season. The Twos downturn in form after Christmas meant that finals were almost impossible, with resident MS Excel nerd Chris Strods, figured that if Brunswick could make the finals, but we would be required to score in the order of 800 runs and bowl the 'Hoes out very cheaply indeed.

After a minor delay (about 45 mins) due to a lack of a key for the new change rooms, Skipper Halls won the toss without any clear direction about what was to be done, so being a bowler, decided to bowl. Second bottom of the table, Ivanhoe were never really in the hunt, losing their first wicket in the third over, and a steady procession of wickets flowed after that. Ivanhoe's number three defied belief by notching a 50 through edges, miscues and near run outs - even the umpire was in a state of shock he managed to score anything at all. Harry Travis bowled some excellent balls, bamboozling the batsmen but also bowling some classic wides and looseners all the way through his spell. Declan bowled without much luck, being driven through slips with regularity. Ben Bon returned to seconds and also bowled some good balls in amongst half trackers and wides, only to make the observation "I think the ball is swinging the other way". Then the skipper decided to try a few part-timers, or in Walshey's case a never-again-timer. Despite bowling with venom and accuracy in the nets, the wild haired young lad bowled nine of the worst balls that have ever been associated in the one over, ensuring that Simon will never again get a look in at bowling in any level of cricket. Ivanhoe were bowled out for 126 (Walshey’s solitary over was third top scorer for Ivanhoe), with wickets being fairly evenly shared around.

Overhauling 126 was never going to be a difficult task for the men in black. That said, scoring at all was beyond the 15 local pissheads that turned up to watch their boys get pantsed. These blokes, average age about 55, stood above the score board, and not 3 metres away from the scorers’ desk, but couldn't (or wouldn't) chip in.

Nevertheless, Jabril Jabs Yamak opened in his debut in the twos alongside Harrison Travels, the latter taking an aggressive approach to the bowling, while the young debutante stoically played the way he has done all season. While Henry raced to 22, Yamak - who was the anchor to our innings, the ballast to our balloon or the glue that held fast the gears of our batting machine - raced to 3. Harry departed hitting a pull-shot to a fielder. McLean put on 12 before getting hit on the stump.

Then came the hilarity of the 'Walshey and Jabril running between the wickets show', a two person act they were preparing for the Melbourne Comedy Festival later this year. With echoes of yakity sacks in their ears a smorgasbord of near misses, blind turns, slides and suicide singles were all on display. At drinks, in the Ivanhoe huddle, the captain was heard to say "Lets face it, our best chance of a wicket here is a runout - these guys have no f#*n idea what they are doing..." Again, defying all expectations, both Jabril and Walshe were dismissed by methods other than being short of their ground. Charlie however, was runout running for a three that was never on.

We passed their score, won the game but knew finals were out of hand, falling 8000 runs short of creeping in on run rate. Hallsy led the second most solemn version of 'Flying High' ever heard, the first being the very creepy Gregorian chant-style version led by Tommy O’Neil in front of the crowd later that night by a host of club legends.

Thanks to Hallsy for the season, as well as Strodsy who filled in when required.


3rd XI at Holbrook

On a gorgeous day the boys rolled into the elegant underpass of Holbrook reserve to face a struggling Ivanhoe side. With intent to give the group the best opportunity to get in form for the finals, Jez won the toss and elected to bat. Knowing the obliteration that was Brendan White’s last outing at Holbrook, ludicrous suggestions that he might ‘club 200’ were thrown around in the warm up, the pressure seemed to sink too far into White’s mind as he was bowled in the first over (albeit after whacking a four.)

After that unexpected early wicket from an opening attack that seemed to be just ‘rolling their arm over’ in their final game, Gene du Vergier was in at first drop with Chopper Read who had comfortably steadied the ship before being trapped LBW for 23. At 2/50 Brenton Allan and Gene were cruising along nicely, playing sensibly but with affirmative intent before du Genie ‘In a Bottle’ nicked one off future pub owner ‘Paddy O’Brien,’ and was out just before drinks for 26. Brenton continued his casual run-scoring before being given for LBW, taking with him a solid 27. Dom Sullivan and Jeremy Anderson did some quick damage and were in total control of the unenthusiastic bowling before they were out, Dom with 16 and Jez with 30. Henry Robertson at number 10 had a late and impressive slog, finishing with 18 not out, and bringing the Wicks, with the help of 35 extras, to a comfortable total of 197.

A spectacular feast, that had the Wicks digging in before the opposition arrived to the table (unheard of), only fuelled and motivated the boys even more to crush the Hoe Foe. With no real intent on winning Ivanhoe were able to bat the 45 overs, scoring very slowly they were no match for the Brunswick boys, with Paddy Groves who claimed his 31st wicket for the year taking the new ball.

Backed by the consistency of Henry Robertson who took home a stylish 2/22 (RIP) off 9 overs, and the sharing of wickets through the entire attack Ivanhoe finished on 8/141. A comprehensive win for the Brunswick 3s places them in good stead before they meet Preston for the first game of the finals series.


4th XI

“They forfeited, we top.” Cap’n Steve Mead (March 2017)

Last updated: Wednesday March 8, 2017 8:10PM

Live Scores