About the Brunswick Cricket Club
The Brunswick Cricket Club has a proud history dating back 150 years.
BCC's origins are traced back to a meeting at the Cumberland Arms Hotel on November 23rd 1857, after an advertisement in the Argus newspaper, convened for ‘the purpose of forming a club’. The club's home ground was initially on the east side of Sydney Rd, thought to be situated close to the Barkley Brick Company.
At a later date, Brunswick relocated to the venue now known as McAlister Oval, which is now home to Parkville District Cricket Club. In the early 20th century, BCC moved to A.G. Gillon Oval, which remains as the club's home.
Brunswick CC joined the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association in 1909. It has since won nine senior premierships and produced countless champion players who have progressed to state and national honours.
Maurie Sievers was the first of these, playing test cricket in the 1930s. Club legend John "Nookie" Swanson, also served the Essendon Cricket Club, and played 29 first-class games for Victoria during the 1960s. John Scholes began his career at Brunswick before having an outstanding career with Carlton and Victoria as both a player and coach.
In 2011, the Brunswick CC introduced womens cricket through a merger with Brunswick Park Womens Cricket Club. In a short period of time, BCC's womens sides have had international players such as Margaret Jennings, Sharlene Heywood, Julie Calvert, Jess Cameron and Elyse Villani in its ranks. In the 2014/15 season Brunswick fielded its first ever female team that was solely under the management of the club.