W.J. (Bill) Dowling
Bill Dowling joined Brunswick in 1907/08. He moved to Carlton in 1910/11, where he played six games. He returned to Brunswick the following year and captained the club's first premiership team in 1914/15, making 77 runs opening the batting in the final. He also played in consecutive premierships in 1928/29 and 1929/30 making 122 in the latter final.
In his first 13 seasons with Brunswick which was interrupted by a period of enlistment in the armed forces, he won the batting average on 11 occasions.
As well as an outstanding batsman, Bill was a brilliant cover-point fieldsman.
Bill Dowling's record at Brunswick:
- Played 249 games between 1909 and 1935
- Fourth highest VSDCA run-maker with 8895 runs @ 30.67
- 12 centuries and 43 fifties
- Represented the VSDCA on 13 occassions
- Won the 1st XI batting average on 15 occassions
- Brunswick CC life membership